Join Us for our Next Fundraiser
March 29, 2014 8:00 PM
North Coast Repertory Theatre.
300 5thSt., Eureka
The Complete Works of
A parody of the 37 plays written by William Shakespeare. Fast paced and witty. “A fantasia of zany energy that throws together Monty Python-ish drag and Mel Brooks-ish anything-for-a-laugh gags.
Sales for this performance will benefit
Humboldt Mediation Services
For tickets call 445-2505
$20 for one or $35 for two
Refreshments will be served after the performance
A grand thank you to the Eureka Sisters for the August 3rd fund-raiser. The Sisters put the "fun" in fundraising!
And a huge thank you to all of the donors and sponsors of this event.
Who We Are
Established in 1983, Humboldt Mediation Services is a community based, non-governmental, nonprofit organization of trained volunteer Community Mediators.
- We provide conflict resolution services for disputes of all kinds, including divorce and separation, child custody, family conflict, workplace or business conflict, property conflict, and tenant-landlord conflict.
- Our Community Board style of mediation encourages communication, collaborative resolution, and win-win solutions as an alternative to costly court cases and ongoing conflicts.
- We also offer annual Community Mediator Training, Communication and Conflict Management workshops, meeting and focus group facilitation, and custom workshops to the community.
Our goal is to work locally toward global peace by providing community members and organizations with community-based peacemaking tools.
We mediate these types of disputes:
- Divorces and Separations, including Child Custody / Support / Visitation Agreements
- Landlord / Tenant
- Housemates / Roommates
- Conflict with Neighbor(s)
- Parent / Child
- Elder Care
- Property Issues
- Teacher or School Administrator / Pupil or Parent
- Seller / Buyer
- Business Partners, Business / Business, Business / Customer
- Workplace Conflicts (Employees, Supervisors)
How Can HMS Help You?
Are you faced with conflict or involved in a dispute?
Would you like to find a solution that will let you live in peace?
Call or e-mail our Case Manager.
There’s no cost or obligation for this consultation.
For information about mediation services, trainings, custom workshops, board membership, or volunteer opportunities fill out our contact form or call us at 707-445-2505.
HMS practices the Community Boards model of Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR). Community Board mediation is a forum for conflict resolution with a panel of three trained, neutral mediators to guide you through the process.
HMS trains and certifies all volunteer mediators and new mediators are mentored until they gain enough experience to lead a panel on their own.
Prior to the mediation session(s), two mediators meet privately with each disputant to identify each person's issues and interests in a process called Case Development. The goal is for each person involved to communicate their feelings, wants, and needs so they can write an agreement together solving the conflict.
This can take one session or many sessions; the choice is up to the participants. You own the process!
Mediators are neutral facilitators, clarifiers, ground-rule enforcers, and consultants in the construction of agreements. Mediators never impose solutions on you, makes decisions on your behalf, or make recommendations to courts or other agencies.
Above: Three trained volunteers (facing camera) mediate
a dispute between two individuals.
Mediation and Facilitation Fees
Mediation sessions are billed per session, regardless of how long each session takes. Fees are determined on a sliding scale based on income or what you can reasonably afford.
If you are unable to pay the fees due to financial hardship, call our Case Manager to discuss your situation. No one is turned away from HMS because of inability to pay mediation fees.
- Establish efficient, simple, confidential forums for resolution of conflict between people in the Humboldt community.
- Encourage people to deal with problems that they have unhappily tolerated.
- Allow those in conflict to take responsibility for resolving their disputes before they escalate to irreconcilable situations.
- Build mutually beneficial and productive relationships with individuals and organizations that promote just and collaborative approaches to shared challenges and concerns.
- Divert from the courts those cases that are more appropriately handled outside the court system.
- Train members of the Humboldt Community to serve as mediators.
- Provide volunteers with opportunities to contribute to the community and the effectiveness of the organization, and to strengthen individual growth in alternative dispute resolution (ADR).
"I can't say enough good about the help HMS gave Kinetic Universe in our mediation... And neither side of that table had easy folks to contend with." -Maureen Burke of the Kinetic Universe Board
"I want to thank you and commend you for the valuable services you provide... [I] was impressed by the professional manner in which our case was handled." -Rosie Thompson